Krystal Garcia Riley was born and raised in the Rio Grande Valley. She moved to East Texas in 2001 to attend Stephen F. Austin State University. While a student at SFA, and through her first year in law school, Riley worked as a legal assistant at a Nacogdoches law firm. In 2007, she joined the Zeleskey Law Firm while finishing up her studies at South Texas College of Law. She became an associate with Zeleskey upon her graduation from law school in 2008. In 2014, Riley joined Skelton Slusher Barnhill Watkins Wells, PLLC, and in 2015, Riley became a partner with the firm.
Riley's practice is wide-ranging. She is experienced in business transactions and real estate transactions as well as matters pertaining to water law and oil, gas, and minerals and other areas of energy law. Riley has drafted numerous title opinions for oil and gas companies. She has helped clients negotiate pipeline easements as well as solar and wind energy agreements. She also assists clients with estate planning, estate administration, and guardianship matters. Additionally, Riley has been active in appellate matters before the 6th, 9th, 12th, and 14th Court of Appeals in Texas.
A few of the matters Riley has participated in include:
- Real estate litigation including disputes concerning title and ownership of property, adverse possession, easements, partitions, mechanic's liens, lease disputes, enforcement of restrictive covenants, and disputes among co-tenants;
- Setting up business entities, including corporations and limited liability companies;
- The sale and purchase of ongoing businesses;
- Commercial and residential real estate contracts, leases, and closings;
- General corporate representation;
- Title examinations and title opinions;
- Loan restructuring for water supply companies;
- Estate administration and disputes concerning estates;
- Pipeline, solar, and wind energy easement negotiations.
Riley resides in Lufkin with her husband, John, and their three children, Eli, Caleb, and Lillie. They are members of Eastview United Pentecostal Church. Riley also serves on the boards of Habitat for Humanity of Angelina County and East Texas Cancer Alliance of Hope and is an active member of Leadership Lufkin.
Areas Of Practice
- Civil Appellate Law
- Real Estate
- Natural Resource Law
- Corporate Law
- Estate Planning, Guardianship, Probate
- Texas, 2008
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
- J.D. - 2008
- Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, Texas
- B.A. - 2004
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Major: Journalism
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Texas Bar Association, Member, 2008 to Present
- Angelina County Bar Association, Member, 2008 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Zeleskey Law Firm, 2007
Pro Bono Activities
- Eastview United Pentecostal Church, Member